Monday, October 29

I'm Not There Soundtrack



Thanks to Tristin at Filter for sending me a copy of the soundtrack to the new Todd Haynes movie about Bob Dylan I’m Not There. I got to spend the weekend listening to this disc, and it features some truly unique covers! If you are a fan of covers or a Dylan fan you should pick it up. I have nothing but respect for Bob Dylan. He is a masterful lyricist, and an impressive songwriter. This said I have to admit that I do not consider myself a Dylan fan. I never grab one of his cds and listen to it front to back; I don’t obsessively collect his back catalog. However, when I hear a song of his I enjoy it, and there are certain songs of his that I’d be happy to hear any time: Tangled Up In Blue, The Times They Are a Changin’, Simple Twist of Fate, Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again, I Want You, and Hurricane are at the top of that list.

It is other people’s reworking of Dylan that has always been more my speed. I am probably driving a knife in the heart of all die hard Dylan fans by revealing this, but I like Guns & Roses’ version of Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door. I also adore Uncle Tupelo’s take on Moonshiner, Jimi Hendrix’s version of All Along the Watchtower. I have a soft spot for Sophie B. Hawkins’ take on I Want You, and The Indigo Girls do an inspired version of Tangled Up in Blue. My appreciation of these covers makes this a perfect soundtrack for me. There are some talented people contributing to this double disc. Some of my early stand out tracks are in bold below.

Disc 1

All Along The Watchtower – Eddie Vedder
I’m Not There – Sonic Youth
Goin’ To Acapulco – Jim James & Calexico

Tombstone Blues – Richie Havens
Ballad of a Thin Man – Stephen Malkmus
Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again – Cat Power
Pressing On – John Doe
Fourth Time Around – Yo La Tengo
Dark Eyes – Iron & Wine, Calexico
Highway 61 Revisited – Karen O & the Million Dollar Bashers
One More Cup of Coffee – Roger McGuinn & Calexico
The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll – Mason Jennings
Billy 1 – Los Lobos
Simple Twist of Fate – Jeff Tweedy
The Man in the Long Black Coat – Mark Lanegan

Senor (tales of Yankee Power) – Willie Nelson & Calexico

Disc 2

As I Went Out One Morning – Mira Billotte
Can’t Leave Her Behind – Stephen Malkmus & Lee Ranaldo
Ring Them Bells – Sufjan Stevens
Just Like a Woman – Charlotte Gainsbourg
Mama You’ve Been On My Mind / A Fraction of Last thoughts On Woodie Guthrie – Jack Johnson
I Wanna Be Your Lover – Yo La Tengo
You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere – Glen Hansard & Marketa Irgova
Can You Please Crawl Out of Your Window? – The Hold Steady
Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues – Ramblin’ Jack Elliott
The Wicked Messenger – the Black Keys
Cold Irons Bound – Tome Verlaine & the Million Dollar Bashers
The Times They Are A Changin’ – Mason Jennings
Maggie’s Farm – Stephen Malkmus
When the Ship Comes In – Marcus Carl Franklin
Moonshiner – Bob Forrest
I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine – John Doe
Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door – Antony & The Johnsons
I’m Not There – Bob Dylan & The Band

I can’t wait to see the movie!

No comments: